Sunday, April 4, 2010

WWW

I requested the "Blogs as Freedom" manuscript because the world wide web fascinates me. The Internet has sparked an information revolution of sorts where anyone with access can obtain information instantly. This capability allows users to take control of their lives to an extent that has never been seen before (freedom). Three weeks ago the motor which powered my driver side window broke leaving my window in the down position with an 80% chance of precipitation in the forecast. After cursing my POS truck I began weighting my options: 1) take my truck to the auto repair shop and have them convince me that my window was a difficult fix that would cost a lot of money (control of information), or 2) fix the problem myself. The latter would not even be an option without the world wide web. After scouring several blogs which explained were GMC hides the bolts necessary for removing the door panel I was able to at least get my window back to its upright position, keeping me dry until I can afford to get the motor fixed.

This example illustrates how the Internet can provide simple capabilities to individuals who dont have them. Dr. Glassman's manuscript elequently explains how the blogosphere can provide capabilites more important than my basic troubleshooting example. However, I think the manuscript lacks the discussion of two important and interrelated phenomenas. First, the article fails to mention the surfeit of inaccurate information which polutes the world wide web. What good is shared information if that information does not enhance the capabilities of its community? In this sense the increased flow (amount) of information found on the internet may be more harmful. This brings me to the second phenomena that I believe should be mentioned in the manuscipt; internet wikis. In my opinion wikis (http://articles.sitepoint.com/article/what-is-a-wiki) are the purest form of blogging, allowing any reader to edit the content of the webpage they are reading (increasing the flow of information, whether accurate or not). It is for this reason that experts (academics in particular) are terrified of wikis. In fact I was shocked to see Wikipedia cited numerous times in Dr. Glassman's manuscript because I was trained to never reference a wiki. I dont necessarily agree with this stance (and I assumed Dewey wouldnt either) but it seems to be the consensus and should be mentioned in relation to the potential spread of innacurate information.

No comments:

Post a Comment